Seed Sowing

"Though I do not believe that a plant will spring up where no seed has been, I have great faith in a seed. Convince me that you have a seed there, and I am prepared to expect wonders." ~ Henry David Thoreau

There is a sense of wonder in a seed, isn’t there?  What an infinite variety of beautiful and useful plants begin with just a tiny seed.

I love to plant seeds.  It is such an act of hope, putting that little storehouse into the soil, then watering, waiting, and watching for signs of life.



Spring is the time many of us are sowing seeds in the garden and waiting impatiently for those first sprigs of green. 

Many herbs grow easily from seed, such as- basil, borage, chives, cilantro and dill.  In fact, most of these grow so well from seed they will quite freely self-sow all over your garden if you aren't careful!  Though that is more blessing than curse in my eyes.  An out of place seedling can be moved to a better home or potted up and given to a friend if it can't be left where it is growing.  Part of the fun of gardening is the element of surprise that nature always seems to possess. 


What herbs do you grow from seed? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

//2